Our Engineering team includes 9 professionals – 3 Mechanical Engineers, 2 Electrical Engineers, 3 Firmware Engineers, and a Software Developer– and has the following areas of responsibility:
- Product Development;
- Issue Resolution; and
- Knowledge Management.
You will report directly to the President. You will be responsible for managing the department and ensuring that departmental goals are achieved. You will balance competing priorities: standard product design, customer customization, issue and problem resolution, and other corporate initiatives. You will implement tools and processes to enable us to achieve more, faster, while ensuring that we address significant areas of risk. You are the voice of Engineering on the management team and you will ensure that Engineering is aligned with the rest of the organization.
- Department Vision and Plan: process improvement and management, tool selection and implementation, consensus building, project selection, project and schedule management, resource allocation, budget management
- Product Development: specification management, feature selection, brokering trade-offs between desired functionality and technical capability, creating alignment and consensus, delivering to schedule and budget
- Issue resolution: support to other areas (sales, production), research, ECRs, ECOs
- Knowledge management: knowledge creation, knowledge documentation, internal training
- Management team: company guidance
To be successful in this role, you will require the following experience, skills, and knowledge:
- Hands-on experience designing embedded electrical systems (either hardware or firmware)
- Experience with best practices in software and firmware management, including strategies like agile development, minimum viable product, etc.
- Experience managing product development in a high-risk, gated environment: proof-of-concept, alpha, beta, etc.
- Experience integrating the efforts of multi-disciplinary engineering projects, including aspects of mechanical design, embedded software, hardware, and PC based software
- A demonstrated ability to deliver project outcomes on-time and on-budget
- A demonstrated ability to motivate, engage, and excite a team of professional engineers
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral, and experience building consensus and brokering complex trade-offs
- Clear ability to connect electronic process (ERP, PLM, PDM) with day-to-day operations in a way that maximizes success
- General understanding of best practices with Engineering systems: ECAD, MCAD, PLM, PDM
In addition to the required skills listed above, the following experience, skills, and knowledge are deemed advantageous:
- Track record of generating new IP
- Prior engineering management experience
- Prior experience in sensor design
- Experience with the design or manufacture of commercial or scientific instrumentation
- Experience in a customer facing role like Sales Engineer, Product Manager, or Technical Support
- Prior experience in a manufacturing environment
- Hands-on experience using Altium, CodeWarrior, SolidWorks, MatLab, LabView, or Netsuite
- Experience coding with C++ / working with real-time operating systems (RTOS)
- Education or experience in oceanography or hydrography
- Professional Engineer / member of IEEE or Marine Technology Society
Who You Are:
You are a dedicated team player who builds real consensus. You are entrepreneurial in mind-set and recognize that pragmatism is important in a small company. You can connect technical Engineering decisions to user outcomes. You are a relationship builder. Finally, you clearly display the six behaviours that our culture values:
- Delights the Customer: Finds solutions. Exhausts all options before giving up. Cares. Goes the extra mile. Builds rapport. Listens. Wears the customer’s shoes.
- Honest & Open: Speaks what he thinks. Does what she says. Listens to what he doesn’t want to hear. Distinguishes fact from belief.
- Builds & Strengthens Process: Documents and improves process. Questions: Is it repeatable? Scalable? Reliable? Reconciles electronic process with real world. Avoids work-arounds. Removes barriers.
- Innovates & Initiates: Demonstrates inventiveness. Improves product, process, service, team and self. Develops new ideas. Believes in the value of change. Forward thinking.
- Hungers for the Team Win: Supports the team. Inspires and encourages others. Offers the best of him / herself. Displays energy and commitment. Demonstrates the desire to win.
- Focuses on Execution: Remains focused. Shows discipline. Commits, completes, and communicates. Strives for clarity: What? By who? For when? Identifies next steps. Acts with speed.