February 28, 2014
Imagine your life’s work in our piece of paradise! Island Health (formerly Vancouver Island Health Authority) is one of British Columbia’s six health authorities and the largest employer on Vancouver Island with over 18,000 employees. For five years running, we have been selected as one of BC's Top Employers.
We offer an exceptional employer-paid benefits package including dental and prescription coverage, group life, long term disability and extensive extended health plan as well as competitive wages.
Learn more at: www.viha.ca
In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health) patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to the Manager, Systems Development, the Interface Architect provides translation and leadership in the development of conceptual, logical and physical technical application and information architectures for the successful delivery of integrated solutions for Island Health’s IM/IT projects and ongoing infrastructure and operations. The Architect analyzes, develops and supports the project management and change management processes to ensure successful project delivery, realization of benefits and sustainment of process change. The Architect supervises and coordinates team members.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides strategic and operational integration technology analysis and direction to Directors, Managers and other decision makers through planning and assessment of technology, infrastructure, and applications.
2. Participates in and influences the development of standards and guidelines, processes and policy. Evaluates the procurement processes. Defines Integration Management standards pertaining to interface development and creates required libraries for implementation.
3. Designs, develops and directs the implementation of enterprise-wide IM/IT integration architecture based on current and future administrative and clinical needs.
4. Ensures compliance to standards, strategies and business plans and represents integration issues as a member of Island Health’s Architecture Review Board.
5. Participates as a member of the management team in IM/IT activities strategically and operationally such as:
6. Identifies and recommends improvements in the integration architecture for critical infrastructure performance issues, security strategies and deficiency identification, and general operational improvements.
7. Participates as a member of the management team in the evaluation and procurement of external services and products by assisting with the development of requirements definitions, RFI/RFP/RFQ processes, and product/service (vendor) selection.
8. Represents Island Health in decision-making and recommendations of processes pertaining to IM/IT and Island Health committees, vendor/partner and/or with expert support and planning groups/agencies, and educational and pilot/trial opportunities.
9. Hires staff, trains, supervises, conducts performance appraisals, disciplines and terminates staff in the department to achieve project and service objectives, including support for information systems deployed in HCC.
10. Provides leadership and direction to staff that may themselves carry supervisory responsibility, and through them, designated staff. Ensures continuing staff development, education and training is provided, within budget guidelines, to maintain staff at a current level of knowledge and skills.
11. Develops and recommends budget, monitors expenditures, variance analysis and reporting, and recommends and implements remedial action.
12. Influences the RFP process to ensure equipment meets IM/IT integration standards.
13. Maintains a thorough understanding of integration technology standards and processes; follows and champions the standards.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Health Information Sciences, Engineering or a related discipline, and five (5) years’ recent, related experience in a large complex organization. Experience with at least two IM / IT disciplines from a client/server environment, such as project management, technical architecture, systems analysis, network management, application development, middleware, database management, and/or operations. Knowledge of Enterprise Application Integration concepts and technologies such as HL7, Cloverleaf, SOA or Webmethods is preferred.
Please submit resumes using our online tool: