February 28, 2014
Imagine your life’s work in our piece of paradise! Island Health (formerly Vancouver Island Health Authority) is one of British Columbia’s six health authorities and the largest employer on Vancouver Island with over 18,000 employees. For five years running, we have been selected as one of BC's Top Employers.
We offer an exceptional employer-paid benefits package including dental and prescription coverage, group life, long term disability and extensive extended health plan as well as competitive wages.
Learn more at: www.viha.ca
In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health), patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to the Manager, Clinical System Development, the Middle Layer Technical Analyst is responsible for the planning and delivery of complex technology implementations and upgrade projects in support of Cerner, Island Health’s Clinical Information System. The Analyst researches, advises, seeks to innovate and coordinates technology delivery and infrastructure support to enable Cerner to continuously deliver 24x7 solutions to Island Health and other healthcare partners involved in the Cerner installation. The Analyst provides technical coordination and performs in a liaison role among IM/IT Leadership, Project Managers, senior technical staff, other Health Authorities and partner health care organizations.
In support of clinical application delivery, this position guides integration efforts among IM/IT departments including Client Services, Application Support, Network Services and Technical Services.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides technical project consulting services related to technical infrastructure and IM/IT process utilization to Project Managers, project staff, IM/IT Management, Clinical Informatics, Database Administrators, Change Management and other IM/IT Technical Analysts. Provides technically innovative options such as:
2. Acts as a Technical Liaison, provides guidance and builds relationships with project teams including Island Health staff and Project Managers, other Health Authorities and external vendors deploying clinical applications and related supporting infrastructure (e.g. Websphere, operational jobs, chart servers, printers, Multum, Kofax, MSA, XR Printing, Digital imaging, RRD and other new technologies) as they are purchased and delivered at Island Health across multiple sites within the region. Analyses technical options, resources, budgets, timeframes and translation into realistic project expectations and deliverables.
3. Researches, coordinates, and monitors the deployment of layered technologies supporting Cerner solutions. Ensures the deployment conforms to Island Health’s IM/IT standards of quality with respect to technical and support documentation completion; validates knowledge transfer to operational areas is complete and sign-off is obtained from both the Project Manager and operational areas prior to finalizing the stabilization period.
4. Monitors implementation of new and revised applications and coordinates program testing to ensure solutions address business and operational requirements.
5. Develops and maintains backup and recovery standards and specifications supporting layered Cerner solutions to ensure IM/IT’s ability to recover in the event of application downtime and/or loss of data due to a critical issue.
6. Participates in IM/IT technology committees such as the Architecture Review Board (ARB), the Change Advisory Board (CAB), the Cerner Service Coordination (CSC) committee and various other technical forums to advise and provide input in architectural decisions as well as on impact related to impending changes to the environment
7. Coordinates knowledge transfer to operational areas to support the delivered solutions.
8. Ensures testing adheres to the Island Health and industry standards and ensures proper sign-off prior to implementation.
9. Participates in the development of monitoring mechanisms to ensure operational areas are proactively alerted when solutions generate exceptions or errors.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned.
A. Education, Training and Experience
Graduation from a recognized degree or diploma program in Computer Science, three years' recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
B. Skills and Abilities
Please submit resumes using our online tool: