Ocean Networks Canada (ONC) is a world-leading organization supporting ocean discovery and technological innovation. Operating as a not-for-profit society, ONC is responsible for the management of several ocean-based observatories, including VENUS and NEPTUNE and a mini-observatory in the Arctic, on behalf of the University of Victoria. ONC’s mission is to enable transformative ocean research and technology development through an innovative, cabled infrastructure that supplies continuous power and Internet connectivity to a broad suite of novel subsea instrumentation in coastal and deep-ocean environments. The ONC Innovation Centre is a business division within ONC that has leveraged this observatory to develop a suite of products and services called Smart Ocean Systems™. The Centre was established as a Centre for Excellence in Commercialization and Research (CECR) in 2009 under the Canadian Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE) program to leverage this investment, accelerate the development of new technology, grow industry, and help our international clients build their own ocean observatories.
For more information, visit www.oceannetworks.ca.
Ocean Networks Canada (ONC) is currently seeking an Accountant to support the ONC Innovation Centre. The Accountant will provide accounting support to the ONC Innovation Centre and non-CFI ONC Programs with an approximate annual budget of $5M. The ONCIC Accountant reports to the Chief Finance and Administration Officer of ONC and may also receive direction from the Director of the ONC Innovation Centre.
The principal duties of the Accountant will include:
1. Financial reporting for ONC Innovation Centre budget and account reconciliation.
2. Prepare financial statements and supporting schedules in accordance with Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards with the 4200 standards for government not-for-profit organisation. Facilitate the external audit and provide information to UVic for the preparation of consolidated financial statements.
3. Prepare financial submissions for the recovery and reconciliation of federal funding under the guidance of the ONC Innovation Centre Director.
4. Collaborate with other members of the Finance and Administration team on all accounting and financial matters, under the direction of the CFAO.
5. Back-up for processing of Accounts Payable and Receivable processes of ONC Innovation Centre.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor of Commerce or equivalent degree and a professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA). We require a minimum of 5 years’ experience in an accounting role.
Please send a cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30pm, June 12, 2014.