Does managing change and leading growth excite you? Do you have the vision and experience to strengthen accounting operations? Can you turn financial data into real-world business information? Do you have a passion for customer delight?
AML has an established manufacturing business with global customers. You will lead the financial operations of our team. Are you up for the challenge?
As leader of our Accounting & Logistics department, you manage a team of 2: an Accounting Coordinator and a Logistics Coordinator. You will implement strategies, processes, procedures, and tools that enable your team to achieve more. Candidates with suitable strategic experience will also represent the finance function in general and the Accounting & Logistics department in specific on the AML management team.
At AML, we believe strongly in the power of balanced metrics to guide priorities and daily activities. Proposed metrics for the this position include:
As leader of a small team, you work closely with your direct reports to achieve the following outcomes:
- Timely Statement Preparation: Prepare monthly, quarterly, and yearly closes; Generate and vet corresponding income, balance, and cash flow statements in a timely manner
- External Reporting: Prepare governmental claims for GST / HST, PST, NRC-IRAP, SRED, EDC, VAT, etc. in a timely manner
- Supplier Reporting: Prepare weekly consignment inventory billing reports and submit to consignment suppliers
- Internal Reporting & Analysis: Departmental, project, and initiative budget versus actual reports; Ad-hoc reporting as required
You will directly supervise department members who are responsible for completion of the following activities:
- Accounts Payable: Bill entry; A/P aging report; Bill payments via credit-card, check, EFT or wire; Negotiation of supplier terms
- Accounts Receivable: Issue, follow-up and collect customer invoices; A/R aging report; Preparation of monthly customer statements;
- Deposits: Record customer payments; Take check deposits to bank for processing
- Credit Card Reconciliations: Entry and allocation of credit-card expenses; Weekly reconciliation of corporate credit cards
- Customer Shipments: Coordination of all in and out-bound logistics of customer shipments
You will complete the following tasks:
- Bank Reconciliations: Weekly reconciliation of CAD and USD bank accounts
- Month End Allocations: Monthly reallocations; Conversion of pre-paids to expenses; etc.
- Currency Hedging: Management of USD and EUR contracts
- Transactional HR for the entire company: Preparation and submission of bi-monthly payroll, monthly commissions, and quarterly bonuses, vacation and sick day tracking, set-up of new employees, T4 preparation, benefits and MSP management, etc.
- Human resource management for your own team: includes recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, and counseling; communicating job expectations; appraising and reviewing job contributions, etc.
In addition, you will be expected to spearhead ongoing improvements in the following areas:
- Budgeting & Forecasting: Preparation and maintenance of 36 month P/L forecasts, departmental budgets, and cash flow forecasts
- Process Management: Create and maintain documented SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) as they relate to all departmental activities; Leverage ERP tools to streamline procedures to achieve more
- Financial Controls: Regular review and update of financial controls to ensure an appropriate balance between effectiveness and efficiency
Required Knowledge & Skills
To be successful in this role, you will require the following experience, skills and knowledge:
- CGA designation required
- Bachelor’s degree in a business discipline, preferably Accounting
- Demonstrated success fine-tuning and improving the efficiency and effectiveness of accounting processes and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, engage, and excite a team
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral, and experience building consensus and brokering complex trade-offs
- Experience with the challenges related to ERP / MRP success and traction in a small organization
- Clear ability to connect electronic process (ERP, MRP) with day-to-day operations in a way that maximizes success
- Proven ability to achieve objectives through direct reports
- A clear understanding of data and data structures
- Experience performing complex analyses in Excel
- A detailed understanding of the principles of GAAP accounting
Preferred Knowledge & Skills
In addition to the required skills listed above, the following experience, skills and knowledge are deemed advantageous:
- CMA designation preferred
- Experience with cost accounting, standard costing, etc.
- Professional work experience in a customer facing role
- Professional work experience in a manufacturing environment
- Education or experience in oceanography or hydrography
- Experience using Netsuite ERP
- An MBA
You are a dedicated team player who builds real consensus. You are entrepreneurial in mind-set and recognize that pragmatism is important in a small company. You can connect decisions to business outcomes. Finally, you clearly display the six behaviours that our culture values:
- Delights the Customer: Finds solutions. Exhausts all options before giving up. Cares. Goes the extra mile. Builds rapport. Listens. Wears the customer’s shoes.
- Honest & Open: Speaks what he thinks. Does what she says. Listens to what he doesn’t want to hear. Distinguishes fact from belief.
- Builds & Strengthens Process: Documents and improves process. Questions: Is it repeatable? Scalable? Reliable? Reconciles electronic process with real world. Avoids work-arounds. Removes barriers.
- Innovates & Initiates: Demonstrates inventiveness. Improves product, process, service, team and self. Develops new ideas. Believes in the value of change. Forward thinking.
- Hungers for the Team Win: Supports the team. Inspires and encourages others. Offers the best of him / herself. Displays energy and commitment. Demonstrates the desire to win.
- Focuses on Execution: Remains focused. Shows discipline. Commits, completes, and communicates. Strives for clarity: What? By who? For when? Identifies next steps. Acts with speed.