Helm. Love where you work.
Helm offers complete enterprise information management solutions for the marine commercial transportation industry. Beyond providing innovative software to global clients, our people and culture matter the most. We value trust, accountability, performance, recognition, community, laughter, collaborative ideas and employee growth.
We are growing, and we are searching for a star Development Lead. With passion for excellence, details and uncompromising standards, this person guides, trains, coaches, challenges and mentors a team of developers to build world-class software.
Why Work At Helm?
- Employer of the Year. In 2013 Helm won Viatec's coveted Employer of the Year award.
- A stable financial base. We are a fully-owned subsidiary of ClassNK, one of the world’s largest ship classification societies. Founded in Tokyo in 1899, ClassNK classifies 20 percent of the world's merchant fleet—that’s one out of every five commercial boats on the planet. In other words, we are incredibly well funded, and we are in it for the long haul.
- Location. The huge windows of our waterfront offices in downtown Victoria face right onto our city’s beautiful inner harbor.
- A commitment to automation. From check in to build to deployment to tests, our continuous delivery framework is automated. Now we are focused on extending the coverage of our tests for APIs, UI and performance.
- A commitment to fast development machines. Every new developer gets at least an i7 Quad core laptop with a SSD drive. And as many monitors as your desk can hold. (Some Helm developers have four monitors!)
- Monthly team budgets. Each development team manages their own budget to do with what they want. Some teams pay for lunches, pool games, volleyball, birthday cakes, and well-stocked snack cupboards. Others save their budgets for team toys like remote control helicopters and air hockey tables.
- Fun. Our monthly team events are unique and memorable. We’ve built our own silly boats, played rooftop volleyball in eighties-themed costumes, tested our courage in the treetops at WildPlay, raced around town on a photo-scavenger hunt, battled in huge Sumo-wrestling costumes, and enjoyed a private Star Wars screening with our families at a local theatre.
- Coffee. Endless free coffee. It's fair trade to boot.
- Beer. Every second Friday is beer Friday.
- Hack days. Twice a year we take two days from our everyday work to focus on any project we want. At the end of the event, we celebrate everyone’s creativity and shower the winners of 'Best Hack', 'Most Likely to Ship', 'Best Presentation,' and 'Most Ambitious' with kudos and prizes.
- DevCons. Each quarter our developers organize and present their own multi-track mini-conference on any topics they are interested in. Learning. We hold regular Lunch and Learn seminars on topics ranging from ‘Scrum 101’ to ‘Savings Strategies’ to ‘Public Speaking’. Growth. We invest in our employees’ long-term growth, and have clear career roadmaps, with customized development plans.
- Community Involvement. We are proud to partner with Kiva Microfunds, helping provide small, interest-free loans to low-income people around the world who wouldn’t normally have access to traditional banking systems. Every December, we focus our team event on raising money for the Mustard Seed.