Start date approximately April 1, 2015
Salary: $35.05 per hour ($36.11 effective April 1, 2015)
The Data Technician will provide GIS /CAD/Project Management support to the VAA in creating and maintaining GIS/CAD applications for VAA lands. The Data Technician is a union position reporting to the Director, Facilities and will normally work a 37.5 hour work week during regular administration office hours.
Education & Experience
Relevant post-secondary education in a GIS / CAD related program and a minimum of two years’ experience operating a GIS system in a multi-disciplined engineering or technical environment, plus extensive experience with AutoCAD and ESRI ArcGIS; data and mapping QA/QC. BC Class 5 Drivers License. Applicants with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Within six (6) months of hire, Data Technician must obtain the following certifications:
Airside Vehicle Operator Permit (AVOP).
Radio Operator’s Certificate – Aeronautical.
Good working knowledge of Metadata and process tracking and documentation. Understanding of cartography and geographic map reference systems. Knowledge of maps, bylaws, planning and other government policies and procedures. Knowledge of Global Position System (GPS) technology, web application mapping and GIS application development.
- Advanced computer skills, including proficiency in the following; Microsoft office suite, FME, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, AutoCad, ArcGIS software suite; familiarity with MicroStation.
- Ability to perform GIS data conversion across multiple file types.
- Excellent organization skills and ability to meet deadlines with conflicting demands.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with internal and external customers, both orally and in written business correspondence.
- Ability to be tactful, demonstrate excellent judgment, and work as a positive and collaborative team member.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Enthusiastic, energetic and the ability to be a self starter and work independently.
- Ability to be extremely accurate, analytical and detail orientated.
- Aptitude and willingness to learn new technology.
Must pass and maintain enhanced Airport security clearance.
- Manage the VAA’s Technical Data Centre (TDC) including:
- Acquire data from field surveys, as-built drawings and mapping records and update VAA’s digital database.
- Maintain inventory, digitize and/or store drawings, technical data, reports and studies.
- Develop and maintain CAD/GIS standards, practices and data file formats; translate digital files.
- Collect, maintain, and create GIS datasets.
- Collect and convert GPS field data.
- Monitor construction activity and ensure timely delivery of as-built and other record documentation.
- Review as-built data for completeness, accuracy and adherence to TDC standards and conventions.
- Compile and evaluate technical data.
- Manage back-up procedures including archiving information.
- Create drawings for VAA planning, management, operations and engineering purposes including: land use, master planning, lease management, field operations, safety, security, environment, airport facilities, capital project planning and design.
- Create/edit drawings and data including cartographic map production.
- Provide Capital Project Assistance:
- Prepare status reports.
- Prepare project approvals, consultant terms of reference, requests for proposals, contract documentation, award letters and other similar documents for capital projects.
- Consult with stakeholders for: definition of requirements, option analysis, tendering, field surveys, construction inspections and obtaining as-built records.
- Direct consultants and contractors.
- Take personal responsibility for VAA’s Safety Management System, safety related issues and integrate safety into daily work activities.
- Other related duties.