Ocean Networks Canada (ONC) is a world-leading organization supporting ocean discovery and technological innovation. Operating as a not-for-profit society, ONC is responsible for the management of VENUS, the coastal network, and NEPTUNE Canada, the regional network, on behalf of the University of Victoria. ONC’s vision is to be a world leading organization supporting ocean discovery and technological innovation. ONC’s mission is to enable transformative ocean research and technology development through an innovative cabled infrastructure that supplies continuous power and Internet connectivity to a broad suite of novel subsea instrumentation in coastal and deep-ocean environments.
Three cable arrays, together over 900 km in length, host several hundred sensors distributed in, on and above the seabed. They are strategically located to address key scientific and policy issues (subsea earthquakes and tsunamis, ocean acidification, marine biodiversity, etc.) within a wide range of environments.
The Junior Java Developer will participate in the design and implementation of software components aiming at processing and publishing data from Ocean Networks Canada (ONC) instruments and controlling these instruments or the observatory infrastructure.
The Developer reports to the Software Development Manager, with work assigned on a project basis or in an area of continuing responsibility, which will be reviewed for progress toward the stated objectives.
Software Design & Development
• Design, code, and test new features and functionality based on requirements collected
• Review and understand business requirements as a participant in cross-functional teams
• Participate in design and code reviews
• Document work projects, including explanation of the development process, troubleshooting approaches and resolution of any bugs
• Develop test suites based on previous work project for software development and testing
• Ensure that effective code is completed within timeline provided and that issues are fully tested with minimal defects
• Maintain software and repair bugs
• Contribute to software development best practices
Department Support & Other duties
• Assist with production support issues as they arise
• Maintain other software such as mobile applications
• University degree or college diploma in computer science
• Minimum of 1 to 2 years of development experience in Java
• Proven ability to design, build, test and debug software
• Knowledge of relational database management systems such as Oracle or MySQL
• Experience in object–oriented design and implementation
• Knowledge of software lifecycle and Agile methodologies such as Scrum
• Knowledge of web services and service-oriented architectures
• Ability to work independently and proactively within a team-oriented environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Ability to learn new technologies
• Familiarity with the Eclipse development environment and with tools such as Velocity and Hibernate would be an asset, as would be some knowledge of the messaging system.
• The Developer will have the ability to make technical decisions and recommendations to users and supervisory personnel and is expected to perform duties within a team; therefore a good team spirit together with professional work practices is required.
Please apply on the Uvic Careers website http://www.uvic.ca
Deadline: May 29, 2015