The British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (bcIMC), one of Canada’s largest institutional investors, provides professional funds management services for public bodies and publicly administered trust funds. We offer our clients five asset classes: Public Equities, Fixed Income & Foreign Exchange, Private Markets, Mortgages and Real Estate. Our investments are diversified globally.
The assets under management (more than $100 billion) are predominantly pension plan funds from the BC Public Sector and our investment time horizon is long-term. bcIMC aims to be the fund manager of choice for this sector. Key to these efforts are our employees. We look for ethical people who have true passion for the investment industry, and who are committed to providing exceptional client service and delivering superior investment performance.
The Information Technology Department is responsible for developing technology solutions that contribute to the achievement of bcIMC’s mission and long-term objectives. The department manages the corporation’s information technology, providing support to 200+ end-users of business applications and IT infrastructure.
The Senior Database Administrator manages bcIMC’s Microsoft SQL Server database systems. This includes the development, review, and maintenance of database scripts, custom reports, data extracts, and ongoing optimization of databases and applications to ensure the highest level of database and application performance. Reporting to a Manager, Enterprise Information Architecture, the Senior Database Administrator will work closely with business users, and developers to assist in managing updates to all database environments. This will include reviewing proposed database changes as well as recommending and implementing changes to optimize performance and ensure high availability.
1. Maintain all Microsoft SQL Server transactional and warehouse databases
2. Monitor and optimize database performance; troubleshoot database problems
3. Install new instances of SQL Server software, and apply upgrades, quarterly patches and fixes as necessary; manage all SQL Server environments
4. Perform archiving, security, and auditing related tasks, according to applicable policies and procedures
5. Support client database functions, including data extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) services
6. As support to the applications team, provide advice on database operations, scripts, stored procedures and complex relational logic
7. Provide management reports, customer reports, and data extracts using Microsoft and other tools
8. Conduct research, analysis, and profiling to develop methods to improve database performance, functionality, recoverability and availability
9. Plan, communicate, execute, and document database related maintenance and upgrades
10. Assist with storage capacity management initiatives and database migrations
11. Assist with database licensing initiatives
12. Support audit and security processes by applying industry best practices such as creating views, least privilege, segregation of duties, alerting of improper access, classification of data.
13. Work with the infrastructure team on capacity planning and performance tuning on existing and future storage and system infrastructure
14. Ensure adherence to IT Service Management (ITSM) incident and change management processes for application delivery.
15. Work with Data Architecture advising on physical implementation best practices.
16. Actively adhere to compliance and risk management policies, and participate in business continuity and disaster recovery planning.
To be successful in this position, the Senior Database Administrator must possess strong analytical problem-solving skills; an ability to participate effectively in a team environment; good communication and customer service skills. Preferred qualifications include demonstrated capabilities working with MS SQL Server, relevant MicroSoft certification(s) and those who have experience with complex financial systems. Experience with Oracle, and cloud-based database technologies such as SQL Azure would be an asset.
For your information, our recruitment process will require the successful candidate to agree to a criminal record search, to complete a declaration of no previous or current criminal status, and to agree to our corporate Code of Conduct policy.
Please visit the Careers Page of our website for full details of the position and instructions on how to apply, citing File# 310 by July 9, 2015.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue to the next phase of the recruitment process will be contacted.