This is one of the most influential jobs in our company. The ideal candidate will make people happy. Your UX design skills will delight readers, book collectors and students by making it even easier for them to buy books. Your designs will be seen by millions of people around the world and displayed in five languages. The look, feel and – most importantly – the usability of our websites will be in your hands.
You use templates, wireframes, mock-ups and prototypes, but your greatest tools will be your understanding of ecommerce and the user experience. You know how a website succeeds and how it fails. You have the ability to analyze every part of a customer’s on-site journey. You work alongside business and/or development partners through discovery, competitive analysis, usability research, user task and goals identification, and process flows.
You have a very good understanding of the metrics used to measure the success of your designs. You are not afraid to fail and relentlessly move your designs forward. You crave feedback on your work and use usability research (questionnaires, usability sessions and other appropriate formats) to inform and validate designs. You champion the customer at all times, can defend your design strategies to business and technology stakeholders.
- End to end design of large-scale projects that focus on a user-centered design approach
- Conception and creation of design solutions that address both primary user goals as well as business goals
- Refinement, maintenance and enforcement of our current design guidelines and strategies across all platforms
- Assessment and analysis of current site traffic trends and user behavior
- Work on multiple projects concurrently while handling many different types of design requests
- Adeptly handle changing priorities throughout a product life cycle
- Partner with the technology team to ensure we leverage the scale offered by our platform without compromising on core experiential principles
- Work strategically with and present your design solutions to a wide variety of teams and departments
- Proposing multiple different interfaces thinking through all possible user scenarios for review
- Five+ years of web design experience
- Education/experience in Design and User Interaction
- Demonstrated experience in executing product requirements into a site vision
- Demonstrated knowledge of information architecture, interaction flow, user interface and visual design
- Experience with standard tools of the design trade such as Illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks, HTML/CSS
- Proven experience in usability analysis and research
- Solid working knowledge of all common, current web technologies, including mobile
- Proven ability to work both independently and cross-functionally in a very busy environment
- Experience working with an iteration based development process such as scrum
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills and ability to analytically defend your design decisions
- Impeccable modern visual design aesthetic
- Experience designing mobile applications and responsive websites
- An online portfolio that demonstrates a strong user experience skill-set for large scale projects
- Fluency in any other AbeBooks language (Spanish, French, Italian, German) is desirable.
- Passion for books and book collecting
AbeBooks provides competitive salaries and great benefits. If you enjoy constantly broadening your technical skills, building software that affects users around the world, and working in an environment that thrives on creativity and product innovation, please complete the attached application form.