As a leading edge IT consulting firm, Avocette is growing and has exciting opportunities (both permanent and contract) for Intermediate/Senior Project Managers to join our team in Victoria. We work with a wide range of clients including government and crown corporations, community services agencies, healthcare providers, and professional services organizations.
The Project Manager oversees the planning, implementation, and tracking of projects with a wide range of complexity, duration and concurrence.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Manager performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following:
- As required, provide written content to be included in requests for proposals.
Plan the project
- Define and confirm the scope of the project in consultation with team members, senior management and project sponsors.
- Create a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project
- Determine the resources (time, money, equipment, etc.) required to complete the project
- Develop a schedule for project completion that effectively allocates the resources to the activities
- Review the project schedule with senior management and all other staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise the schedule as required
- Determine the objectives and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion
Staff the project
- Confirm resourcing assignments and coordinate with appropriate managers
- Manage project staff according to the established policies and practices of Avocette
- Ensure that personnel information is properly maintained and kept confidential
- Ensure that all project personnel receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and the project
Implement the project
- Execute the project according to the project plan
- Develop forms and records to document project activities
- Set up files to ensure that all project information is appropriately documented and secured
- Monitor the progress of the project and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project
- Review the quality of the work completed with the project team on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the project standards
Control the project
- Provide written status reports on the project for the client as required under the project charter
- Manage all project expenditures according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Monitor effort versus budget and provide projections as required for the client and for Avocette
- Ensure that all financial records for the project are up to date and are kept confidential are required
- Prepare financial reports and supporting documentation for clients and Avocette as required
Evaluate the project
- Ensure that the project deliverables are on time, within budget and at the required level of quality
- Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase
The Project Manager should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices, and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of Avocette.
- Build Customer Relations: Demonstrate a commitment to providing exemplary service to clients and building strong client relationships for long-term business opportunities.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations and to create new opportunities. Demonstrate aptitude for multi-tasking and balancing competing demands in a face-paced environment.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness. Demonstrate the ability to build and effectively manage a diverse team that may be geographically distributed.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of Avocette.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
Experience, Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or PMP Certification with five or more years of project management experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Diverse experience managing information system projects through the complete SDLC
- Experience with various levels of Government (municipal and provincial) Crown Corporations and Healthcare would be considered highly desirable but not mandatory
- Project Managers are based in the Avocette offices but some projects may require them to work at a client site.
- Project Managers work a standard work week but may be required to work some evenings and weekends to meet project milestones.